Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Used to Think, Now I Think

I Used to Think, Now I Think

Connect:  I decided to use this routine in a different way with a group of 2nd grade reading intervention students.  Rather than using it in the context of a text we were reading, I decided to use it as a "check in" on the affective beliefs of my students as readers...  I wanted to make sure that these kids, with whom I have worked with for 2-3 years, were now truly seeing themselves as readers, and not strugglers... I must admit, it was a little scary for me! What if participating in my groups for so long had actually "damaged" their view of themselves as readers?

Student Thoughts:
I used to think:
"...that I would never be able to read."
"...reading was very hard.  I felt not very smart."
"...reading was super hard and I was not very good at reading.

Now I think:
"...I am one of the best readers in my class!"
"...I am a great reader. I feel great because I can read!"
"...I am so good!  I think I can read 100 chapter books!"


Extend:  Whew!  What I learned from the student responses was REALLY gratifying.  These three really do see themselves as readers!  I love their authentic and honest responses.  This routine helped them to articulate how their view of themselves as readers has altered over time, and that they truly have come so far.  It helped me to see the resilience in young children, and the impact that their fantastic classroom teachers have had upon them. It takes a village, and in this one the kids are enjoying the rewards of hard work and are moving forward in an environment full of support and recognition of success.

Challenge:  I am shocked that such a simple routine could have such an impact upon me!  I am hopeful that it had an impact on the kids in terms of actually thinking about how far they have come and that they are successful.  My challenge is to integrate this routine in to all of my groups so that it can be used as a simple check-in of synthesis, as well as determining importance within text. In terms of using it as an "Affective Check, " I would love to use it in the same manner again with all of my intervention groups.



2 comments:

  1. Congrats Lynn! You and their classroom teachers deserve a hand!
    What a brave step to take! Of course, you know that I am going to use this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative way to use this routine. I have to admit that I tend to always think about the routines around content, but the it's important to check in on the affective side as well. I think that most teachers could take your idea and implement it in their classroom. Also, you should feel really good about all the hard work you do with those kids. They are lucky to work with someone who cares so much about them.

    ReplyDelete