Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Connections

I have a very special student that I work with one-on-one who has a heck of a time focusing in school due to her responsibility overload at home.  She is the oldest of 3 younger siblings and has put in a full day before the tardy bell rings each morning.  
While reading Maniac Magee one day, we were both giggling and sharing stories/making connections to the main character when he steps in to help with his "new" twin siblings.   I thought it would be a great opportunity to revisit the making connections reading strategy.  I use this strategy more with this one student in particular then I do with any of my other groups because not only does she respond to it very well, but it keeps her engaged and focused.  Sometimes I have her chart her connections or mental images while she reads independently at home, however we completed this particular activity together.  
I created a T-chart and labeled each side.  Text Evidence and My Connection.  We chose the part of the text that explained how the twins hate getting a bath.  We both agreed we could both write a book of bath-giving connections.
A very fun reading day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment